Welcome to our newest series, What’s Cookin’ with Team Maurer, where you can find some quick, easy, and healthy meals to add to your weekly menu! Planning your weekly meals can be daunting, but check out what Team Maurer is cooking up because healthy doesn’t have to be boring or take a long time to make!
First up, our Events Manager, Katie, with a tasty and lightened up spin on a classic take-out egg roll. Not only will this meal make it to the dinner table in no time, but it is also packed with veggies, like cabbage. Cabbage is a low calorie vegetable that is rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It is also packed with fiber. Breast cancer risk is 12%-19% lower among females who eat more dietary fiber, especially in early adulthood.
Katie says, "So good and so easy. It's become a weekly staple."
Katie’s Egg Roll Bowls
- 1 pound ground beef or pork
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) bag coleslaw mix
- ½ cup grated or “matchstick” carrots
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add ground meat and cook, stirring, until no longer pink. Drain; return meat to skillet.
- Add diced onion, sesame oil, and rice vinegar to the skillet. Cook, stirring, for a few more minutes (until onion is tender).
- Add garlic, ginger, soy sauce, coleslaw mix, and carrots to the skillet. Cook, stirring, for about 5-7 more minutes, or until cabbage is wilted.
- Remove skillet from the heat.
- Stir in green onions
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.