Gather your friends, clients, or customers in your home or business and turn it into a fundraiser for breast health education. Whether you want to commemorate Breast Cancer Awareness Month, or just want an excuse to have a movie night, spa day, or any other fun event, we would like to be your charity of choice. Whatever you decide, let us know and we’ll support your efforts with official materials, speakers, knowledge, and joint marketing efforts.
Here are some great examples of fundraisers we’ve done in the past:
Cookies For A Cause
These pink and white cookies are specially baked for The Foundation and taste just like the black and white cookies New Yorkers know and love. 100% from the sale of these cookies goes to benefit The Maurer Foundation’s breast health education programs. Get creative and use these cookies to raise funds at your school, club, sports team, and workplace. Some of the wonderful groups that have been a part of this program:
- Students from the BOCES Student Council of the Bellport Academic Center at Patchogue-Medford High School
- The cheerleading squad from Father Lopez Catholic High School in Daytona Beach, FL
- Cookies For A Cause were part of Sachem High School’s Think Pink Day & Heritage Day
- Members of the East Islip Girls Leaders Club at East Islip High School sold cookies to classmates and at school sports events
- One student sold cookies as part of her bat mitzvah service project
- Businesses including Anthony DeFranco Salon in Huntington, Sperry Federal Credit Union in Garden City Park, and Annastasia Salon in Garden City all sold cookies during Breast Cancer Awareness Month in 2015.
Business Give Back Day (or Month!)
Let your customers know you care about causes that are important to them (like Long Island breast health!) and gain access to a new customer base. We’ll help you promote the special day via our email list, our website and social media.
You can donate a percentage of proceeds from your total sales for the day, proceeds from a particular product or service that’s breast cancer-oriented, or anything else that’s fun and effective. “Give Back Days” are wonderful for restaurants, spas, fairs, retail stores, entertainment venues, or just about any business that has a regular influx of physical or virtual customer traffic.
Great examples of effective “Give Back Days”:
- Huntington Honda, a new and pre-owned car dealership, held a special Breast Cancer Awareness Month fundraiser and donated $10 for every test drive to The Maurer Foundation—raising $5,000 during October 2015!
- Salon Zeba in Huntington offered pink hair extensions during Breast Cancer Awareness Month and contributed all the proceeds (minus the cost of the hair extensions) to the Maurer Foundation.
- Marsh’s, an upscale clothing store in Huntington, donated 10% of all proceeds from their holiday shopping event
- Butera’s restaurant (with locations in Seaford and Woodbury) donated 10% of all sales from diners who showed their Give Back Certificate on a special day.
- Maggie’s Raw Love Café, a Rockville Centre restaurant, donated $1 from the sale of every raw cheesecake during their Grand Re-Opening day.
Private Parties & Events
Maybe you’re having an invitation-only Scrabble tournament, a holiday party at your senior center, or a New Year’s Eve block party that people will remember for years to come. Adding a charity theme to a private event can really make your event unique and fun! You can accept donations for the Maurer Foundation in lieu of an entry fee, in addition to, or you could even raffle off items and donate the proceeds—whatever makes sense and strikes your fancy! While joint marketing is not usually important for private events, the Maurer Foundation can help get the word out during the event by offering a speaker, fliers, signage, or goodie bag items. Some fun private events:
- ClearVision Optical hosted a unique Breast Cancer Awareness Month raffle at their central office: for every dollar donated, employees received a raffle ticket and a bag of eight marbles (to symbolize the 1-in-8 lifetime risk of a woman being diagnosed with breast cancer). Those marbles were used to fill up a Prevent-a-tini glass, with a goal of filling seven glasses—and Cole Haan bags were raffled off at the end of the month!
- Costumes For A Cure, a private Halloween bash in Rockville Centre, accepted donations for the Maurer Foundation and another breast cancer charity. Some attendees even dressed as bras!
- Dress Down Days were hosted at multiple locations with attendees at schools and businesses paying for the privilege of dressing down with a donation to support breast health education
Boy/Girl Scouts & Bar/Bat Mitzvahs
As a non-profit organization that educates students and the community on breast cancer prevention, we couldn’t think of a better way to enter adulthood than a community service project. We have worked with dozens of students and helped them create and complete custom service projects. Check out what one student did for her bat mitzvah.
Breast Cancer Awareness or Outreach Event
Spread awareness about breast health and breast cancer prevention in your own special and unique way. What do you like to do? What does your club or company do? Do you have a unique way to get the word out while gaining exposure for your group and the Maurer Foundation? For outreach events, the main goal is community interaction and positive press; donations are often a secondary (but much appreciated!) by-product. Many of our partners who do outreach events end up with substantial media mentions on television, radio, newspapers, and on the internet. Some great recent examples:
- The Garden City Fire Department and the Pink Heals Tour brought their pink fire trucks in front of our office in Mineola and held out pink boots to accept donations from passing vehicles and pedestrians
- One Garden City resident outfitted his home with 20,000 holiday lights and synchronized them to music. As a tribute to his neighbor who had just been diagnosed with breast cancer, he accepted donations for the Maurer Foundation.
Got a Great Fundraising Idea?
We’d love to hear it! For more information on the above opportunities of support, contact us today. Have you fundraised for us and would like your effort listed here? Let us know!